Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cultural Posters: Part 1

After reading a story ("Pedro Puts on a Play")where a boy has to share his culture with his class, I decided since I have such a culturally diverse class, it would be a cool assignment for my kids to do.
I asked them each to make a poster representing the culture or country they came from. 

This is just a small selection of them, I don't have time to share them all today.
 I'll share some more next week.  :)

 Elena is of Mexican, Scottish, and Navajo heritage. 
I love how she included pictures of herself in traditional dress on her poster! 
The kids all thought Haggis sounded really gross, but I intend to try it this summer when I visit Scotland, just to say that I have. I'm brave like that. ; )



Nick created this poster about Native American Heritage Day, 
which is celebrated the day after Thanksgiving. Lots of great pictures on this one! 


Emely created this poster specifically on Mexico City which is where her mother is from.
The kids were very interested to learn about Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and how people spend the night in the cemetery visiting their loved ones. Emely explained that it's very different in Mexico, cemeteries aren't scary and on Dia de los Muertos there are many people in the cemetery, making it seem almost like a picnic or party. She also brought in some Mexican money for them to see.

Tanisha shared with us the culture of India, a place I've always been fascinated with. She told us about a holiday that just passed called Raksha Bandan, where the sister ties a bracelet on her brother's wrist and feeds him sweets. Then he has to give her a gift.  The kids thought this was a cool tradition. She also told us about atraditional  Indian wedding where the girls get henna painted on their hands (she had just been to one and her hands were still painted), and the bride wears a red or pink sari. 



Eli shared his Finnish heritage. 
The kids thought it was really cool that "Angry Birds" was developed in Finland,
 and that it was kind of gross that Finns eat reindeer. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting our classroom. We'd love to hear from you!