Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for all my wonderful students, past & present, and for people like this girl, who quickly became a hero to my students.  Learning of her story they realized how thankful they were for the ability to go to school and get an education, something denied to many children around the world, especially girls.

If you haven't heard of Malala Yousafzai yet, watch this video.


Here's some writing my students did in reaction to the article we read & the video above.
They inspire me!


Dear Malala,
       How are you doing? I really admire how you are trying to help girls go to school. If I was in Pakistan I would have stayed with you every second. If I was on that school bus I would have taken the bullet by saying that I was Malala so you could still be in Pakistan helping girls go to school. I am all with you Malala.
                   From, Emily

"I think Malala Yousafzai is so brave she deserves the name "World's Bravest Girl." She stands up for girls go to school around the world. I admire her with my whole heart. She needs every girl and boy, adult and child to support her effort. Now everyone can help Malala. Now she has the word out she needs all the help she can get." ~ By Kaylee

Dear Malala,
      Thanks for your help letting girls go to school. Also, you're my bravest hero in the world. I am feeling so mad about what the Taliban did to you. You're still my hero. The only thing is that the Taliban are really jerks, they should not do that to a girl. I am glad you are ok. Also, when the Taliban shot you they thought their bullets were going to silence you, but they did not. You keep going and going. I liked your speech in New York City, "One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world."
             Your Friend, Nicholas

"Girls should go to school because everyone needs to be taught. She said, 'One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world.' She is working hard for that. She's a brave teen. I am also Malala. She is a great person. She is the pride of the world. She's the greatest hero in the world."

Want to learn more about Malala? You can order her book "I am Malala" from Amazon.com. It's also available for e-readers like Kindle.

Inspired by her story? You can donate to her cause here at her website: www.malalafund.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting our classroom. We'd love to hear from you!