Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Starry Starry Night




Today in class we drew "Starry Night" in chalk. Tonight's homework was about the artist of the painting, Vincent Van Gogh. Here's a neat little video showing all of Van Gogh's self portraits.



Why did Van Gogh paint himself so much?
Was he vain? No. The answer is in his own words below.

I purposely bought a mirror good enough to enable me to work from my image in default of a model, because if I can manage to paint the colouring of my own head, which is not to be done without some difficulty, I shall likewise be able to paint the heads of other good souls, men and women.”

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Here's a link to an interactive Van Gogh Exhibit by The Metropolitan Museum of Art
where you can learn about Van Gogh's life & work and also try drawing a picture like him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting our classroom. We'd love to hear from you!